"Mere color, unspoiled by meaning, and unallied with definite form, can speak to the soul in a thousand different ways."
Oscar Wilde

October 27, 2010

Short and sweet

I'm feeling kind of babbley tonight so my blog post will probably be nothing like the title suggests.

I've been kind of lazy about taking this nail polish off. That's OPI's Here Today Aragon Tomorrow for those who were unaware.  Two reasons really.  First I've been feeling really procrastinate-y this week. And secondly I really like this color.  Sometimes it looks really green and other times it looks so black I wonder where the green went?

Anyway, wearing this very dark nail polish made me think I should right about how to wear dark nail polish.  I know what you are thinking.  What do you mean how to wear it?  You just slap it on your nails and there ya go!  Wrong.  The most important thing about wearing dark nail polish is the length of your nails.  Now if you are going for a witchy look then by all means wear them super long.  However if your goal is to have cute fun nails that you can wear to work then it is of the utmost importance that you keep them short short short.  I like to cut mine as short as I can without hurting myself and then file them smooth.  This way no matter if you are wearing the darkest inkiest black, your nails will still have a happiness to them and they won't look moody and vengeful.

Actually I think short nails works best with most colors.  It is a little strange that I feel this way now.  I played piano and viola growing up and my teachers were always after me to cut my nails keep them short.  (If your wondering why, it is a lot easier to play an instrument with uber short nails, little tip).  Now that I no longer have teachers I like to keep them short.  This is also partly due to the fact that they now peel like crazy and if I keep them short they don't peel.  But also because I think nail polish is prettier on short nails.

Now I know a lot of people out there would disagree with me, but so far I have yet to see a colored nail that is long and not creepy.  Of course there are happy medium lengths, which I don't think look creepy on other people but I personally don't prefer.  I have very long fingers if you didn't notice and they really take care of any length I might want.

There are a few exceptions.  French manicure.  A tip painted on a nail that isn't long enough for one just looks silly, like your faking it.  Which you probably are.  Anyway.  Also bare nails.  If I'm not painting my nails I like to grow them out a little bit.  They are prettier this way with a little white showing.  If they are too short and bare then they look bitten and this is never good.

So now you know why nail length is so important.  My husband is ordering things on Amazon and I think this would be a great time to order some nail polish.  Did you know you could order nail polish on Amazon?  I may have mentioned this already.  Well, you can and I'm gonna.

No comments:

Post a Comment